Sunday, November 7, 2010

The best pie ever!!



I recently heard about the blog entitled The Art of Gluten Free Baking. My sister-in-law made the yummiest apple pie for Thanksgiving using one of the recipes. After reading some of the blog and looking at photos of the food she creates, I was blown away, and left wondering "where have you been all my gluten-free life???" There are foods there that I swore I would never be able to eat again, like dinner rolls, donuts and puff pastry. Can't wait to try those out! Anyway, I decided to try the pie out for myself, since I loves me my pie. Let me start out by saying that I am not a baker. Even when I used to make gluten full pies, they didn't turn out that great. So, suffice to say that the times I have attempted a gluten free version, using different mixes and recipes, I usually ended up swearing and throwing a ball of dough across the kitchen. I find rolling and transporting the dough to the pie plate extremely frustrating. It is the stickiest stuff known to man, and it breaks so easily. Not only that, after all the effort, I have never been impressed with the taste or texture of the end product. Until now. I couldn't believe how easy this was to make. The recipe doesn't call for a million different expensive and obscure flours like the others I've tried. Just a simple mix that Jeanne uses for most of her baking. The dough rolled out easily (I rolled it between two pieces of plastic wrap), and the end result was simply amazing. I guarantee if you served this to gluten eaters they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It was flaky, delicious, and with a perfect amount of sweetness. And, if I could make it, trust me, you could too. This pie experience was by far the best I've had, gluten free or no!


I also made her orange poppy seed loaf. Extremely easy, and tasty. Having something with poppy seeds in it, seems so luxurious to me. mmm...



gotta get back in the kitchen...going to attempt cheese sticks and turnovers..

www.artofglutenfreebaking.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Could you post the recipe, or a link to the blog with the recipe? I would love to try that pie crust.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I've found that rolling out pie crust types of foods is even easier if you do it in a gallon ziplock bag, because the plastic is stiffer than plastic wrap is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, thought I did already..I'll add it to the post. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete