Monday, May 9, 2011

Saravanaa Bhavan


Sometimes its nice to change it up from the usual Indian buffet and go for South Indian food. I have a favourite place in Surrey already, but I heard that Saravanaa Bhavan on Broadway has a lunch buffet. I took my adventurous family with me, and guinea pigs we were. The line-up told me that we had chosen well. There was a nice selection of vegetarian curries and chutneys at the buffet table, as well as idli (a steamed rice cake), and my favourite dessert of Ras Malai. I had never seen it done before with a saffron flavour, it was tasty. The servers come around with my favourite, dosa, which is a crunchy crepe made of rice or lentil flour, filled with potato curry. In fact, many of the south indian dishes are wheat free, which is refreshing.However, do be careful which dishes you choose, due to hidden wheat, as always. Our experience today was good, the food had just the right amount of spice for us, although we found the dishes less fresh than in a sit down restaurant, but that is to be expected of a buffet.

http://www.saravanaabhavan.ca/

Saravanaa Bhavan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment